Sunday 10 March 2013

Fun Facts about Slave Lake

Now I could tell you wikipedia facts about Slave Lake, like that it had a huge fire in 2011, and most of the town is rebuilt, but rather I'd like to share with you the fun facts of Slave Lake that I have experienced over my past 2.5 months.

So here's a list of Josh's things he's learned since coming down here:

1. Where to stay:

There are four to five hotels in Slave Lake of various notoriety. Don't think that you can just waltz in after driving up from Edmonton and find a place to stay. With the development of oil in the area, hotels are booked weeks in advance. I know what you're thinking, small town, booked hotels?!! It's true.

2. What to eat:

One unexpected surprise for me is that there is actually a large Filipino population in town, which has led to the creation of a Filipino restaurant. Having never really eaten Filipino cuisine before, it's the place to go in town. Don't worry about finding it. Town's so small all you got to do is ask or drive down the main drive and make a left turn at the Royal Bank. I have yet to learn a street name in town and yet I still manage to find my way around town.

3. What to see and do:

Slave Lake has apparently an amazing beach. It being winter, I don't really know. This place apparently rocks in the summer, and I personally have gone for a couple of snowshoes and hikes whenever I've had a chance though. Slave Lake is actually on the edge of Lesser Slave Lake Provincial Park, which is a huge swathe of forestland that is filled with wolves and cougars. One thing you should do: when you see fresh tracks and fresh scat, it may be a good time to turn around and not hike solo by yourself, which I may or may not have done.






That's about all I can say about town. I'll end with a funny anecdote:

Last month I ran a trial with a complainant who last week became an Accused for another trial I ran. It's a small world after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment